Friday, May 11, 2007

Scene Selction for AMND

In English class, we are recreating different scenes that occured in AMND (A Midsummmer Night's Dream). My group, Caitlin, Michelle T., and I, have decided that we want to include the characters, the four lovers: Demetrius, Lysander, Helena, and Hermia, and Puck. The closest thing that we found in the book, is the part where Puck is seeking an man wearing Athenian garments, as given orders by the Faerie King Oberon.
This is part of Act 2, Scene 2 where Puck has been wandering for awhile and finally finds an Athenian man - BUT it actually isn't the same man that his King had been talking about. Puck hadn't known that there were two Athenian men in the same forest at the same time and Puck misinterpreted the sight that he saw. By anointing the eyes of this 'Athenian man' he creates a jumble of chaos where Lysander (who truly loved Hermia) falls in love with Helena. This is what happens throughout the rest of the scene until the Act ends.
We chose this scene because I wanted to be the character of Puck, for he seemed like a challenge for me to play. He is a very interesting character following around his King and following all his orders. He's kind of a trouble-maker at the same time, but in this case he actually had no intention of messing up, but unfortunately he did. By observing this I felt as if Puck just has trouble to follow him everywhere he goes, and that led to the misunderstanding between him and King Oberon. I also feel like a lot of things I do makes me lead into some trouble some times, and I felt that because we shared a little of that in common I wanted to play Puck.
I wouldn't mind doing any scene, but personally I wouldn't like to be any of the lovers because I don't really fancy any of their characters or their personalities.

No comments: